I was born in 1940, in a free country called the United States of America. I still live in that country. It's still called the United States of America. But how free is it really?

I hold a degree in Theoretical Physics. I've worked as a physicist, a software designer/developer, an independent computer consultant, a management consultant ...I know how to think, and can tell the difference among facts, factoids and fictons*. I am a loyal American and a patriot but all too often I think that calling this a free country is a ficton.

How free is a country where you be arrested for saying "hi" to your friend Jack at an airport? A country whose government maintains a secret "no-fly" list that you may be on, but you won't find out until you get to the airport, and even then you won't find out why? A country whose government can demand information about you, not notify you, and not allow their source to notify you?

That said, I've been looking over some of my past posts, and don't recognize the person who wrote them. They're essentially a bunch of long rants. Not what I want. I've removed many of the most blatant examples, and from now on will think twice before I publish.

*Fiction suggests a story invented and fashioned to entertain or to deceive

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Israel and The United States Are Two Separate Countries


As a resident of a large, heavily Jewish senior condominium, I encounter much commentary about Israel.  All too many of the missives I encounter imply that Israel is part of the United States, or (even worse) the United States is part of Israel. Here is my response.

First, I am an American. True, I am Jewish. But that does not make me Israeli. I believe that the United States has serious problems to resolve and must focus all of its  resources on American problems.

Second, neither Israelis nor Palestinians seem to have either great liking for the United States or much dedication to the need for a political resolution of their differences. Each has had many chances; each has, if you'll excuse my casual language, "blown" opportunities to move toward peace. They seem to take turns rejecting pro-peace advances by the other.

Third, support for Israel does not equal blind adherence to Israeli policy. And, just as the minority Tea Party people here have, in a real sense, hijacked our government, so the ultra-orthodox religious parties in Israel unfairly and unfortunately dominate Israeli policy.
I consider Israel a moderately friendly ally. Nothing more. And I don't much like the company they're keeping - a farrago of right wing zealots whose support for Israel is based on their religion.

I've offered the friend whose letter triggered this response the opportunity to reply to it. If I get a response I will publish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment